Sunday, July 27, 2008

Kinda like the blues you get after you finish a good book....

For 21 days in July I get to wake up and watch the Tour de France on TV. In the States the Tour is broadcast on a bizarre network called VS
that shows Bull Riding, Cage Fighting, Extreme Bass Casting and oddly enough the Tour de France.

This years tour was full of controversy before it even started when the best team in Cycling (Astana) was kicked out for past offenses that had nothing to do with the current team or coaches. The Tour changed the scoring system getting rid of the
time bonuses awarded to Stage winners. France made banned substances actually illegal so during the tour 3 riders were actually arrested on the spot and led off by the Gendarmes. The grey areas of abuse seem to be on their way out.

Anyway. I enjoy the tour. I enjoy watching as much as I can at home in the morning and then trying not to look at any internet coverage in the day so I can watch the finish later over at the Lakeside Lounge with a lot of the NYC Cycling pals.

Congratulations to Carlos Sastre of Spain who rides for Team CSC on his victory.

Sastre in Paris

I missed a few stages at the Lakeside 'cause I've been real busy down at the Studio with the Bottle Rockets

I can surely beat the post Tour blues down at the Studio.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always curious about ads, I figure they tell you who the TV station thinks you are. In general it's predictable even if I don't think I'm that person (which I seldom do, but then everyone probably thinks the same...) but Jesus H Christ does anybody watching the Tour on Versus watch anything they advertise, and does anyone who watches anything they advertise watch the tour??? It's some kind of spectacular catastrof*ck of marketing genius. I kind of enjoy it. And my 7 yr old digs both the fast bikes and the ultimate fighting ads.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Javi said...

Go Carlos go!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Flametop59 said...

I feel the same way. I have had a huge emptiness in my life all week.

Back having my cycling tv coverage limited to a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon.

I have mixed feelings about Astana's absense. I think they would have been able to give CSC a run but I am happy to see someone else win.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home