Thursday, November 19, 2009

Yeah, Another Gear Post in the small but mighty column

I while back I ordered a custom finger joined 12" combo cabinet for the Fender Pro Jr (detailed earlier here) that I've been
steadfastly dumping money into while I wait for the new super grab and go Doctor Z amps to come out.

A few months before that Chip Robinson (check new website) helped me out by installing an upgraded Mercury Magnetics output transformer. The amp got bigger, had more air on it for sure.

Photobucket
The original Fender transformer is there on the table to the left. Bigger=Better in Transformers

In my quest for a bigger, louder yet lighter rig for local gigs I ordered a "Blues Jr cabinet cut for a Pro Jr" that Mather Cabs in Nashville offers as a standard item. I was able to order it in a custom color (bad ass baby blue of course) that they didn't even list on their site for the nice standard price of $288 including shipping.

Mather said it would be "about 4 weeks" for the cabinet to be delivered. Sure enough. The cabinet showed up 4 weeks later. Beautiful covering. Super lightweight. I started putting it together and noticed a couple screw holes for the chassis didn't line up and their was a gap in between the control panel and the cabinet that I could see through.

I wrote to Mather and Peter Mather wrote me right back to aplogize for the mistake had been made with the cabinet. "Could I used that one while he got me another one?"

Always surprising to run into real customer service these days In a word, Wow.

I used the cab. It sounded great. Put a super lightweight Eminence Tonkerlite with the NEO Magnet in there and the thing was off to the races.

I got the perfect replacement cabinet today. Put it together and it looks and sounds great.
Thanks for your help Chip and thanks to Peter Mather and Meg at New Sensor also.

here's some pics

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and of course you have to have the Studio Slips cover for the grab and go.
Photobucket

ah, the after facts....
Original Pro Jr w 10" Speaker-26 lbs
Suped Up Baby Blue Pro Jr w Mercury Transformer, 12" Tonkerlite and Mather Cab-22 lbs

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sniff...so beautiful it brought a tear to my eye!
Toke!

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love pro jr's... that cabinet is purty!

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eric,

How would you compare the differences between the stock Pro Jr and this one? I love them, I have two and they're perfect for me as they are, curious about getting another and doing some of your mods.

Dennis

drambo@mediaguide.com

12:04 PM  
Blogger roscoe said...

First thing I'd do to a stock Pro Jr is get a better speaker. I like the reissue Jensens and I also have had great results with the Eminence Rajun Cajun. Better speaker will make the amp louder and a little more 'full range'. The currently available JJ Brand tubes sound just fine in these amps. It is worth it to buy a matched pair. A new speaker and new power tubes is quite a bit of an upgrade on these amps.

I kept tinkering and did the transformer which opened the amp up further.
then went all the way to the 12" cab with the Tonker lite that further extended the range of the amp and made it lighter at the same time.
New speaker first:)

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Ragin Cajun in my tweed PJ and the stock speaker in my black one. I love the Rajun Cajun but was thinking of going with a Red Fang.

11:55 AM  
Blogger JKaz said...

Fantastic looking amp. I'll have to seriously consider this for local gigs.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home