Sunday, September 27, 2009

Esquired 2

I while back I wrote about converting one of my handmade Fretshop Phil Telecasters to a single pickup Esquire style
guitar here in a post titled Esquired.
I did get the guitar done and it looked cool as hell. Sounded pretty damn good too.

I was really excited about the custom Callaham control plate with no switch. Bottle Rockets main man Brian Henneman, who had just gotten his long lost Esquire back, reminded me that I might
be missing one of the coolest Esquire settings. Not the muffly, bassy filter thing but the "Tone Control Bypassed" setting.

It didn't take me long to wrap myself around his way of thinking. I took the guitar up to former Sodowsky ace Norio Imai to
have him instal a pull pot on the tone control. Knob up...... Tone in

Esquire

Knob down.....straight to the volume

Esquire straight to the volume

At the recent Yayhoos gigs Dan Baird beta tested the guitar which also received a Norio setup which made it feel happy like it had been to the chiropractor. As you can see from the show of teeth below Dan liked it.



Thanks to everybody who singed up as 'followers' here on Blogger/Knucklehead.
Having a little difficulty with the widget blocking the right side of the photos so I bailed
on the 'follower' widget. You can still click 'follow' up at the top.

Have a good Sunday whether you are watching Sports or not!



iPhone Yankee Stadium Pano pic I took.
Photobucket

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Roscoe,
the Esquire looks great!
Is there a big differece between tone knob bypassed and tone knob maxed? How does the sound differ?
Cheers,
Arthur

4:15 AM  
Blogger roscoe said...

As you can imagine, skipping the tone circuit and going straight to the volume yields a slightly bigger, more open tone.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Javi said...

That's a great mod. Actually straight-to-the-jack is how I mostly use my esquired tele. I kept the 3-way switch though, wired so that and I get tone, no-tone and... mute. A friend of mine uses to put a different value cap in that third position for a cocked wah sound.

Mine:

http://www.fotolog.com/sugarmountain/72219895

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at the SIZE of those strings!!! Ya'll are my heroes!

4:32 PM  
Blogger MILE DEEP said...

Eric...

in my esquire i have the switch still there... and i had my guy wire in TWO volume knobs...

in what would be the bridge position i get one vol pot working...

in what would be the middle (both pickups) I have KILL position that mutes the guitar)

then in the "neck position" i get only the OTHER vol POT.

this way i can preset a lower volume... for rhythm shit

and throw some fire on it by going to the other vol all the way up.

WOOO HOOO i love this shit.

are you touring through KC anytime?

we met along time ago. im friends with Lou Whitney down in springfield. we met when you were doing the Blue Mountain record down there. yall used my bassman 2x12 cab for the session.

anyway...

feel free to email your response. miledeep@gmail.com

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home