Monday, November 27, 2006

T-giving 06

Awrigh-tah,

Thanksgiving '06.
Battle Royale....
In one corner
the Deep Fried Turkey
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In the other corner
the Roasting Bag Turkey
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here's the rundown.
Deep Fried Turkey..
You need the rig which absolutely must be set up outside. You also need over $35 bucks worth of peanut oil. It is fast fast fast.
11 lb turkey cooked in 36 minutes. The skin (which nowadays is mostly for platter garnish) came out golden brown.

Brad and I walking the turkey over to the neighbors 'fry pit'
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

ooops, dropped it!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the rig including spillbox
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Golden Brown in 36 minutes!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now the Roasting bag turkey
Super easy. Goes in the bag with seasonings and a little flour. Bag gets 6 1" snips on the top. No basting. no need to even check on the turkey.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When it was done we pulled it out by the end of the bag and snipped a corner off of the bottom and every last drop of juice drained neatly into a bowl ready for gravy making

Brad's mom Delores makes the gravy
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Since the bird is 'in the bag' there was absolutely no cleanup required.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So,
the Deep Fried turkey was fast but required a lot of setup and expense but it was fun to watch. The Roasting
Bag Turkey was really easy, I mean easy and there was no cleanup plus it yielded all the gravy fixin's.
The Taste?
Wildest part is that these were the two tastiest, most moist turkeys I've ever had. They also stayed hot all the way to the table. I'd have to say that the Deep Fried Rig was fun but the Roasting Bag is the winner.

*****note on knives
I like to carve turkeys. I usually bring my own knives as I did last week for the "Pre Thanks Track Pot Luck Dinner".
On Thanksgiving I used an electric knife for the first time in a real long time. It worked fantastic. I think I'm gonna
get one.

Some more Thanksgiving pics.
pouring a pre dinner toast of some fine Champaign that my buddy Roberto sent to my folks for their 50th anniversary this September
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Mary Lee & Emily
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

JoJo looks on
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the bounty
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

perfect plate
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We all had a great time at Sarah and Brads house with our family there.
After all that turkey don't even think about skipping desert!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

roscoe! your blog always makes me hungry...

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ñam, ñam...

3:29 AM  
Blogger Nona Varnado said...

hm, I hadn't missed american holiday craziness until I saw these photos. Looks lovely! Happy holidays, I hope to see you soon!!

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home